Friday 4 August 2017

Midway

THE LANDON SAGA #10
By Tell Cotten
Solstice Publishing, July 2017

All Yancy Landon wants is to get married. However, there’s always somebody eager to ruin a good day, and several misfortunes occur before the big event. Throughout the day, Yancy and Cooper get tangled up with a drunk, a rebellious youth, someone looking for revenge, a shy wife, a disgruntled cowman, and a disgraceful husband.

Told in the first person through Cooper Landon this book contains the usual mix of excitement and humour, the later mainly appearing during conversation in witty one-liners, that I’ve come to expect from Tell Cotten. Combined with his well-crafted characters and excellent plot-lines makes this a must read series. If you’ve yet to try the Landon Saga books may I suggest you start with the first one and read them in order as story-threads often continue from book to book.

I also find Tell Cotten’s writing very visual, and had a great big grin on my face as I imagined Yancy’s appearance when he arrives at the church for his wedding.

There are some excellent action scenes too, including a tense and violent showdown with the person looking for revenge.

We also get to meet a few new characters, a couple of which I hope there will be more about in future books.

The Landon Saga books aren’t long, meaning they don’t outstay their welcome. In fact I find them hard to put down tales that I usually read in one or two sittings. On finishing this one, like those that have gone before it, I find myself hoping Tell Cotten won’t take too long in writing and publishing the next one.

Tell Cotten is definitely one of the best western writers working today.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right, Steve. Tell Cotton is one of the best western writers around today. For those who enjoy the author's use of humor, his latest novel will be an absolute delight. And Tell has that rare gift for giving us well developed characters in a fast paced story.

James Clay

Unknown said...

Thank you Steve for the very kind review! I really enjoyed writing Midway. As you know, the entire story takes place in two days time, so it was fun and different to fit the plot lines into 48 hours.

Oscar Case said...

Thanks for the review. I'll look for Tell Cotten.